Tuesday, April 23, 2013

MOVIE TIMES WITH 28 NORTH (NOT MOVIE OF THE MONTH) & THE MINT THIS FRIDAY!


So we caught a few flicks recently.

I’ll start with our first questionable extravaganza - G.I.Joe: Retaliation 3D.  I know, many of you have immediately reacted with an audible groan and subsequently “de-liked” us on Facebook.  However, I am not one to shy away from harsh honesty and my juvenile excursion into the realm of nostalgia.  That is correct.  Guess who was a MASSIVE G.I. Joe enthusiast as a child?  This guy.  So there is that and I was also not going to accompany Taylor and Kristle to see Evil Dead.  I do not do horror.  Not for me.

Anywho, I completely enjoyed the movie.  Was it shitty?  Absolutely.  Entertaining though?  100%.  The action was fun, the dialogue hilariously bad, and the story - horrifically predictable and inconsequential to my enjoyment.  There is a distinct entertainment that a crappy movie provides.  It allows me to embrace the awareness that I am consuming a product intended to entertain a much less mature demographic than I (or rather the immature demographic deeply ingrained in my psyche).  Also, Mike and I were the only patrons in the theater, which is my preferred setting to take in a flick.  It allows one to kick back (literally) and howl at the movie screen and be obnoxious with no regard for others, just like at home.  Super fun.  And on a side note, I recently attempted to watch some of the old cartoon on Netflix, let’s just say animation has come a looooooong way.

Next up we have Jurassic Park 3D.  For starters, this is simply one of the greatest movies of all time in my opinion.  I have probably watched it a hundred times, I know nearly the entire script by heart.   But I never did see this movie in the theater.  My folks wouldn’t let me even though I was probably eleven years old at the time it came out.  Not to mention this was at a time when a movie could stay in theaters for like two years!  I mean COME ON!!  Anywho, I subsequently had a Jurassic Park themed birthday party when it came out on VHS (that’s right) and watched the movie obsessively.  So, seeing this epic monumental film on the Imax 3D big screen was a bit of a dream come true for me.  Unfortunately there were no extra scenes added but it looked incredible and I can only imagine the amount of work it took to adapt the film to fit the big screen 3D parameters.  So in my unnecessary opinion – totally satisfied.  I encourage fans of the movie to go see it in Imax 3D.  As for those who were not born when the film came out, probably not for you.  But that’s okay, you can go see Oz The Great and Powerful or whatever.  Which I also saw and it did not merit any commentary from me...

So there you have it.  I’ll have the official “Movie of The Month” for you later this week.

Also, we are very excited to be playing at The Mint this Friday April 26th in Los Angeles!  For those in Southern California, this is a show not to be missed.  The Mint is truly a fabulous venue and very much worth a visit.  Not only one of the best clubs in Los Angeles but one of my favorites that I have ever played.  So please join us and catch this fantastic show that will feature The Empire Assembly, Porter Lori, Caty Ivy, and Almost Classy!  ‘Twill be EPIC!!  Tickets/info here.

Til next time,

Ty


No comments: