Monday, June 18, 2012

Pacific Crest Trail Part 2


So, continuing with my reflections on the Pacific Crest Trail...

When trekking on this ole dusty trail, one will encounter several examples of the desert animal and plant life.  I've seen plenty of lizards, rabbits, squirrels, etc.  The usual suspects.  There are also snakes and tarantulas out there without a doubt.  I haven't seen any tarantulas, and though I have a slightly masochistic urge to stumble upon one, it's probably better that I haven't.  And I've only seen two small snakes since being out here for nearly a year.

For a time there was also a stream that ran through a sandy area that leads to the PCT which you can see in the background of the picture at the top.  Abruptly this stream appeared last winter, and abruptly, it has now disappeared.  This makes me sad as it provided a very peaceful, meditative scenery and the soothing, trickling sound that streams are wont to possess.  Why this stream has disappeared and why it appeared in the first place remains a mystery to me.  Rest assured, I will be investigating.

The stream was also home to many tadpoles which I was excited to watch develop into frogs.  Unfortunately, this will not be so and maybe for the better as the croaking of frogs is already quite prominent in the evening without the addition of hundreds of annoying frog progeny.   Regardless, I'm a bit sorrowful that these infant frogs' habitat has vanished inexplicably.  Here's a very brief and shitty video of the tadpoles just to prove I'm not lying:
So I got my hands on a Go-Pro cam, which is a tiny video camera which can be strapped to one's chest.    In the previous blog post I spoke of using one of those "strap-on" cameras (please, don't even go there) to get some better quality footage of the trail scenery.  I did a quick run with it to test out how the footage would look and there are definitely some adjustments to make.  But it's a much nicer camera than an iPhone and the footage will be infinitely more stable.   So I'm gonna get that done and it will be very cool.

I hope you enjoy my amateurish ramblings on the great outdoors, I certainly enjoy experiencing and writing them.  If you'd like to see some more pictures of stuff from the Pacific Crest Trail you can find some here.

Until next time,

Ty



No comments: