Friday, August 31, 2012

Dragon Tattoos, Breaking Bad, and Rayland Baxter

So a few random things on my mind.

Just finished the final book of the "Dragon Tattoo Trilogy" by Swedish author Stieg Larsson (very interesting guy, sadly died before any of his "Millenium Series" books were published).  I certainly enjoyed The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest (the final installment of the series and apparently the highest selling book in the US in 2010) and the entire trilogy for that matter.  Sure, it's a trendy book and therefore it is easy to read.  It's dark, it's sexy, it's referential...everything a trendy book should be.  You may even say it could fall under the "Summah Reads" category.  And of course I'm late to the party as always, these books are way passed the trendy realm.

But nevertheless, the trilogy is a wild ride of suspense and mystery.  Of course, I have seen the American-produced movie version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo directed by David Fincher (one of my personal favorite film directors).  But I have not seen the Swedish-produced film versions of the trilogy, so that is next up on my list and I will have comments on that for you I'm sure.

So.

Breaking Bad.

Best show on television.

Again, late to the party, I just caught up with the current season and it presently occupies a disturbingly large fraction of my limited mental capacity.  This show is so f***king good.  I don't know how else to say it.  So if you're not into it, get into it.

Finally, Rayland Baxter.

I literally listened to his song "The Mountain Song" seven times in a row today.  It was during a beautiful late afternoon drive in the Cleveland Metroparks from Guitar Center back to Lakewood.  Maybe it was just the environment but it was a magical drive.  I mean, it was perfect.  This song embodies all that a great song can, it brings goosebumps to the back of my neck, it just says everything so perfectly.  The kind of song that gives you cause to roll down the windows, put your left arm out to flow leisurely through the wind, and smile.



So please enjoy this tune and look him up.  His debut album Feathers & Fishhooks was just released this passed week (hey, I'm not actually late to the party on this one!) and it is really great.

(#WayTooManyParenthesesInThisBlog)

On another note, I got stung by a bee last week for this first time in many years.  That sucked.

Til next time,

Ty

No comments: