Saturday, March 23, 2013

Album of The Month: You Won't - Skeptic Goodbye


Hello!

It is once again time for my Album of The Month.  For the lovely month of March I am choosing the debut full length album by the indy-rock duo You Won't: Skeptic Goodbye.

I had the pleasure of seeing them perform during the SXSW festival a couple of weeks ago.  I must thank our dear friend Jeremy of super-awesome-talented-amazing group Pearl and The Beard for suggesting we attend this fabulous show.  So THANKS!  I obviously enjoyed the show immensely and have been listening to You Won't's? (#apostrophe confusion) album constantly and savoring every second of it.

Now.  First of all, I love their name.  It reminds me of Ron Howard's narration in the hilarious television program Arrested Development (new episodes in May on Netflix!!!) in which Mr. Howard voices over commentary pertaining to the dishonesty of particular characters; e.g. "He didn't" or "She wouldn't".  Also, I enjoy the potential sarcastic interpretation as to whether the listener will enjoy the duo's musical compositions...

Anywho, this indy-rock outfit has successfully put together a collection of songs which are among the best I have ever listened to.  It is intelligent, fuzzed out, beautifully melodic, and texturally stimulating in ways that feel both familiar and foreign at the same time.  Almost as if the songs were snatched out of the ether and delivered to my ears in accordance to the grand design of the universe.  At least that is how I feel about it.  And that is the magic of music.  Sometimes you stumble upon something that you feel was meant for you, and this album feels like it was meant for me.  In other words, it is fresh as fuck.

I hope you dear readers will heed my advice and subsequently enjoy this fantastic record.  If you do listen to it and in turn find yourself hating the record and myself, well then.... fuck off (jk, lol, elbow to the ribs).  But seriously, I think this is a great record and if you don't like it, no big deal.

Happy listening and love to all!!

Ty

No comments: