Wednesday, March 20, 2013

SXSW 2013



Once again we have survived another SXSW festival in Austin, TX.  Thank you to all the fans that came to watch and support us during our sets!  We love you all and without you we do not exist!

As always, it was hectic, confusing, overwhelming, and awesome.  The insanity that is the SXSW festival is a particular experience that every music lover should have at least once.  Inevitably the staggering quantity of live music and general stimuli will provide unexpected experiences to be cherished.  And this year’s memories will certainly remain as favorites.  We may have missed the much talked about Prince set and Justin Timberlake’s secret show, but forget that stuff.  For me, SXSW is a chance to witness something new that you never expected.

Amongst my favorite shows that I enjoyed included our Los Angeles friends The Mowgli's epic performance at Maggie Mae’s, a terrific concert by the wonderful Texas blues legend Marcia Ball, and a fantastic set by the indie rock duo You Won’t at The Parish.  We also attended the MTVU Woodie Awards performance which included Taylor's favorite twenty one pilots, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, and Zedd.  This was my first experience of a legit "EDM" artist: Zedd.  I am admittedly averse to said genre, but it was slightly impressive.  Though somewhere between ten to fifteen minutes of this stuff and I am through.  It looked pretty neat though:


And though I did not see the heralded Flaming Lips and Jim James sets at Auditorium Shores, I hear from Mike and Taylor that is was nothing short of incredible.  And my reason for missing that show is among the few that I would count as acceptable.  And that, of course, would be to attend a lovely wedding in New Orleans.  Congratulations to my cousin Nell and her husband Greg!  I love you guys!  One of the few events that could drag me away from SXSW includes a beautiful family celebration and a raucous second line through the French Quarter. 

Upon my reluctant return to Austin (few places top Austin in awesomeness and one is most certainly New Orleans) we promptly attended the Eric Clapton concert.  Amazing would be an understatement for this show, and always is for the magical Slowhand.  For me it was a real treat to see drummer Steve Jordan for the first time performing with the living guitar legend.  No one grooves harder than that man.




And lastly, we had to stuff our faces with delicious slow cooked meats from Salt Lick.  No trip to Austin is complete without this activity and we achieved our appropriate fill.



Mmmmm...meat

Suffice to say, the past week has been inspiring and exhausting.  Time to get back to California and start creating some fresh music.

Love to all!

Ty

No comments: