Friday, March 29, 2013

Movie of The Month: Seven Psychopaths




Seven Psychopaths.

Wowsers was this movie great.

Now.  If you are a fan of films that capture a particular brand of morbid beauty as I am, then this flick is right up your alley.  I personally love movies of this type a la David Fincher's Seven or Fight Club.  So if'n you enjoy the previously mentioned films, most likely you will feel the same of this one.

First, I want to start with the cast.  Christopher Walken.  Love (duh).  Woody Harrelson.  Also love.  Sam Rockwell.  Love again.  Colin Farrell.  I think I loved him in certain films; In Bruges, he was hilarious in Horrible Bosses, and I certainly did not love him in the recent Total Recall which just plain stunk.  The film was lacking a strong female presence and it seems purposefully so as the dialogue addresses the offensively misogynistic tone in appropriate deprecating fashion.  Anywho, the combo of these four dudes alone is a recipe for greatness.  But then.  Enter Tom Waits. All of a sudden this movie became an instant favorite of mine.  And the story that Tom Waits' character subsequently imparts sounds like it came directly from his record Mule Variations.  The addition of Tom Waits to the movie instantly provided the perfect tinge of intellectual quirkiness. 

This film supplied so much that satisfied my tastes.  It was darkly funny, bizarre, uber-meta, foul mouthed, depreciative of the Hollywood film making paradigm, and gratuitously violent at times.  Stir that together and you get a big pot of awesome.  And then on top of that was the soundtrack.  Throughout the movie my ears were graced by the songs of Hank Williams, Townes Van Zandt, Deer Tick, and The Walkmen.  Perfection.

Overall, writer/director Martin McDonagh really hit the nail on the head with this flick.  My hat is off to you sir and I look forward to another film of yours.

In the meantime I would like to direct your attention to some fabulous young film makers.  My cousin Lee and lovely girlfriend Jenna have a production company in New Orleans called Calm Dog Productions and they have been doing some fabulous work. 

Check it out here: calmdogproductions.com as well as the Facebook page.

Til next time,

Ty


No comments: